Time for another fluids round-up! Here’s some of the best fluid dynamics from around the web:
– Scientists are trying to measure the impact of airliners’ contrails on climate change. (pdf; via @KyungMSong)
– Researchers observing the strange moving hills on Pluto suspect they may, in fact, be icebergs.
– Fluid dynamics and acoustics have some fascinating overlaps. Be sure to check out “The World Through Sound” series at Acoustics Today, written by Andrew “Pi” Pyzdek, who also writes one of my favorite science blogs.
– Over at the Toast, Mallory Ortberg explores the poetry of the Beaufort wind scale.
– Understanding the physics of the perfect pancake is helping doctors treat glaucoma. (submitted by Maria-Isabel)
– The physics (and fluid dynamics!) of throwing a football – what’s the best angle for a maximum distance throw? (submitted by @rjallain)
(Video credit: Ok Go)
Thanks to our Patreon patrons who help support FYFD!