Fluids round-up time! Here are your latest fluids links to check out:
- One of the great fundamental questions of life is, of course: what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Jonathan Corum explains how to use fluid dynamics to estimate the answer. (submitted by Andrew C)
- Sound and acoustics play a big role in fluid dynamics. Check out acoustics blog Listen To That Noise to learn more about the subject daily.
- io9 has a great collection of crazy natural ice sculptures, some of which remind me of wild airfoil-shaped ice I found several years back.
- For the chemically-inclined, Simon Gladman has a neat implementation of Hiroki Sayama’s Swarm Chemistry that adds fluid dynamics and advection into the simulation. Check out videos and get links to the code here.
- Finally, TED has some gorgeous photos of unusual clouds including our headliner, a lovely example of a Kelvin-Helmholtz cloud, to go along with Gavin Pretor-Pinney’s talk on the joys of cloud-spotting. (via Flow Visualization on FB)
(Photo credit: G. Pretor-Pinney)